Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Congratulations to Gecko Dad and RUSCAL

Musings about Geocaching

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Congratulations to Gecko Dad and RUSCAL

After our long, disappointing, four-hour hike, search, and return from Indian Head Peak, congratulations are in order for Gecko Dad and RUSCAL for finding the cache.

I would still like to know which direction the arrows on their GPSrs were pointing that enabled them to make "short" work of the challenge.

The two of them have been at this a lot longer than I have, so I guess their experience enables them to stop a fruitless search earlier and examine the area for additional options . . .

In an area with that many possible hiding places, I don't know when you make that call. However, knowing that the cache owner places caches where there is a view, would have kept me out of that cavern my GPSr pointed to that was littered with all the packrat detritus . . .


- - - - - - - - - - - - - -


UPDATE: FlagMan DNF'd the cache. So, now I don't feel quite so depressed about not being able to find it. I still can't believe it is rated a '4' Terrain, and a '2' for Difficulty . . . especially if FlagMan couldn't get to it.

PassingWind has a new cache that he has rated higher, but he still doesn't include a hint.

Doesn't he want people to seek, and ultimately find his caches . . . ?

When I talked to NightHunter about the "Indian Peak Cache," he said, "The harder the hike, the easier the find." I agree. Near where muggles might come upon a cache, it should be hidden in a way that it cannot be easily found, but if the cache is in a place where no one but a Geocacher is likely to venture, the cache should be an easy reward at the end of the hike.

- - - - - - - - - - -


UPDATE: December 7, 2005

Well, PassingWind's new cache, although it appeared daunting, has been found. hrtpmpfxr was FTF on "The Devil's Jumpoff, which also had no hint, just like "Indian Head Peak."

His "Found It" log is about one-third the length of my DNF log for "Indian Head Cache" cache, and even shorter than FlagMan's DNF log for that cache.

I guess the quest and the find were uneventful . . .

2 Comments:

  • Doesn't he want people to seek, and ultimately find his caches . . . ?
    YES....but not easily...thus the rating. That's why I despise some puzzle caches...generally impossible and pure evil!

    Congrats on 1000 cache finds....Sweet!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 PM  

  • Just stumbled upon your blog. It's a great read! I've been caching since Aug 2001 and you have found many of the caches that I have had on my watch list forever as I have somewhat slowed down in recent years! It was fun to chat with you at the Desert Campout too!

    ttfn
    Jane

    By Blogger silver horde, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon