Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Thirty-one more caches and three more placed

Musings about Geocaching

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thirty-one more caches and three more placed

During Thanksgiving week I went caching by myself on Tuesday. I found seven caches, DNF'd one in a rockpile posted with a "Keep off the rocks" sign (that I didn't see until I had given up the hunt and crawled through a fence at the top of the hill), and placed three new ones, "Eucalyptus Park," "Take a Lichen to this View," and "Rancho Mission Canyon." These are all in "town" where they will get more visits than my rural caches that involve a drive and then a long hike.

On Thanksgiving Day, I woke up late but I caught up with the group at the parking area for the PCT along Old Highway 80. Blonds Run Amuck was kind to let me join her and Dan-oh for the remainder of the Sandy Creek Caches, something I was very grateful for. And, my car was happy about that as well.

I had already found all of the SCC Caches, but it was great fun to watch everyone else try to figure out all the creative and unique caches.

After B.R.A. and Dan-oh had to leave, we joined up with smilinglady13 and duganrm to find some of the caches along the Old Burma Road, including "The Lion's Den," a cache that had only been found twice since its placement several months ago.



This is the arrastra that we saw near where we parked the Jeep.

When my companions had to leave to go to their Turkey Day commitments, I took off on my own to find some caches on Mt. Laguna. One of them was a large ammo can in this location:



The last cache I found was "Laguna #1." At that one it was a good thing my GPSr had a "snail trail" on the screen that I could follow because I thought I could take a different, shorter route back to my car . . . and I couldn't. I needed to look at the GPSr screen to find my way back to my previous trail.

Friday I joined up with smilinglady13 and the group at the OHV road up to Bear Valley. We had a great time. Once again, I had found most of the caches along the route, but there were four I hadn't found . . . and TrailGators had solved "Dream State," so all of us helped him find the trail to the cache and we all logged it.



On our way to Dream State, we found this "Dependable Off-Road Equipment" and posed for a picture in it.



The view from Dream State was like a dream . . . it was very beautiful.

Saturday I met up with smilinglady13 at the Descanso Park 'n Ride. It was cold and very foggy which was such a contrast to the two previous sunny days. As we drove east, the clouds lifted. We stopped at the La Posta Diner where I fulfilled the "goal" of a Travel Bug I picked up on Mt. Laguna by taking pictures of him at the diner.



The first cache I tried to find was a DNF. Disappointing. However, I found the next two before we descended the long hill down into the low desert near Ocotillo.

The wind was really blowing, which made our cache searches interesting, and almost dangerous. A gust of wind blew me over onto a rock at one cache. At another cache, where I had to retrieve the container from way up high on a boulder, I couldn't enjoy the view from there because the wind was so strong. As I sat on the boulder signing the log, it almost felt like the boulder was moving in the really strong gusts.



This pile of rocks was really fun to scramble around on. The cache was cleverly hidden and the container was unique.



Although I missed traveling to my sister's place in Idaho for Thanksgiving as I have for the past six years, this Thanksgiving week was a great one. I made new friends and got to know other Geocachers better. I think there will be more "group outings" from now on because it is easier to tackle those caches together.


1 Comments:

  • What a wonderful blog !! I'm new to geocaching so I loved reading your post. You have great photos, as well. I look forward to reading your future post. Thanks for sharing !

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon