Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: I enjoyed Prescott even if the caches there didn't like me

Musings about Geocaching

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I enjoyed Prescott even if the caches there didn't like me

Following the arrow on my GPSr, I went to one cache, and another, and another, and couldn't find any of them . . . Fortunately, there were two cool Virtual caches, "Dedication," at a wonderful statue reprsenting the early pioneers who settled in Prescott and the nearaby valley, and "Residency of Nobels," or I would have acquired no "smilies" at all during my first afternoon in town . . .


As I followed the arrow on my GPSr to the latter Virtual cache, I encountered a closed-off Montezuma Street. There was going to be a "Battle of the Bands" that Saturday night. The people of the commuinty were gathered to enjoy the competition and the street was crowded. After I got pictures of the plaques, so I could answer the required questions for the Virtual, I walked up and down the street, admiring the artwork exhibited in the galleries.

I went into a Mexican restaurant and enjoyed one of the best Poblano Chile Rellenos I have ever had. The only downside to that experience was the cacophony of the music coming in from the "Battle of the Bands" on the street colliding with the musical notes from the Mexican singer in the restaurant . . .

After enjoying a long conversation with a man outside a bar having a cigarette, I extracted myself from all the activity and made my way to the West Wal-Mart . . . hard to believe the Prescott community can support not just one, but two Wal-Marts. That one is open 24 hours, although I didn't need its amenities in the middle of the night.

The next morning, I got up early and followed the arrow on my GPSr to a cache. Whoops . . . dead end road, 300 feet from the cache. I was sure glad I loaded the City Select maps for this part of my trip a couple of days ago because I could see the correct access several blocks away and I enjoyed driving through that nice residential area.



In my circuitous route to the cache, my first "Found it" for a Traditional Cache since I got to Prescott, I discovered "Big Johnson."


There were many historical sights to see and photograph in historic Courthouse Square. I drove there, parked my car, and spent several hours taking pictures, talking to people, and finally participating in the "Empty Bowls" benefit for the local food bank. While waiting in line for the chef-prepared soup, I struck up a conversation with two men, John and Tom, who had attended the Unitarian Universalist church earlier in the morning.

After we finished our soup, I joshed with Tom about the bowl he had picked, a unique, hand-formed squarish bowl with flowers on it. I said he should trade me since I liked it better than the bowl I picked, a cute one with stick-figure cowboys drawn in the glaze . . . and then he gave me his beautiful bowl. So, for my $15.00 donation, I got to enjoy two bowls of delicious soup — a wonderful Gazpacho and a Black Bean Enchilada soup — and I got to keep two, one-of-a-kind, signed-by-the-artist ceramic bowls.

The people I met in the three days I was in Prescott were like that, kind and generous. Even if I couldn't find many of the Traditional Caches, such as "Acker's Ghost Cache" where I took these pictures,






I had a wonderful time and daydreamed about moving there. If I did, the Willow Creek Reservoir area would have a lot more caches in it than it has now. That is a beautiful area, characterized by interesting tumbled boulders. There were lots and lots of places to hide caches there . . . and I only saw a few on my GPSr screen.

Someone needs to do something about that . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon