Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A 6.8 mile hike up Iron Mountain to find 11 caches

Musings about Geocaching

Friday, June 09, 2006

A 6.8 mile hike up Iron Mountain to find 11 caches

Yesterday I went into town for the first time since last Saturday. I ran a bunch of errands, filling ten gallons with good drinking water, getting some groceries, and, most important of all, buying swag from the One Spot at Target. They have some of their "camping" swag, including some carabiners and whistle/compass combos in the bins now.

I made my way back to the shopping center and put on my hiking boots, finishing tying the laces just as Jahoadi pulled in. I locked up my car and off we went, driving through sometimes-heavy traffic up to the trailhead on Highway 67. duganrm was there already, looking very different with a new, much shorter haircut. Soon finkbr and Team Adelos arrived and soon we were headed down the trail, just a few minutes later than our 4:30 meeting time.

At first the trail goes straight, bisecting private property, so you are not supposed to venture far from the trail. There is a cache along there that is locked up with a strong combination lock so it is a safe place to leave travel bugs. I found the cache last year with Princess Toadstool, but finkbr and Team Adelos needed to log it, and I had a TB to drop off.

We continued on the trail, in the cool fog and clouds, finding one cache and then another, each at just the right distance so we could catch our breath from the climb and rest a bit.

I didn't take any pictures because it was so foggy, but I can offer a picture of our 8.6-mile track as a illustration for the afternoon and evening adventure.



On the way back down the hill, my left hip and knee started to hurt and I slowed the group down quite a bit. finkbr was kind to stay back with me as I negotiated the steep rocky trail in the fading light. We made it back to the cars just at dark and just before we would have had to get out our headlamps and flashlights.

It was another great day with excellent company. Jahoadi was very kind to let me ride with her. Although I love the thrill of the hunt, it is the people I have met Geocaching that really make it the best activity I've ever participated in. As I said a couple of months ago, this is the first time in my life I have ever been able to play with the "cool kids."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon