Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A new cache in Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Musings about Geocaching

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A new cache in Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Last December, right in the middle of the Holiday Season, the Superintendent of Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) suddenly changed the policy about having Geocaches in the 600,000-acre Park. They started stealing the caches without allowing the cache owners any time to retrieve the containers themselves. And then, what was even worse, they didn't post Notes on the cache pages to let people know the caches had been removed. This led to inevitable, fruitless searches of the locations by cachers who were unaware of what was going on in the Park, and the possibility the containers they were looking for were no longer there . . .

Since I really enjoyed finding caches in the Park, I know others would like to visit those locations as well, like this one near the "Powder Can Cache."



For my first "Virtual Tour," I limited it to 11 caches locations in the SW portion of the Park.


Yesterday I was not feeling well, a very disappointing development in my long-running battle with ill health, but it was a beautiful day, so I threw some things in an ammo can and made a long drive up to Mt. Laguna to find a hiding place for it.

Then, after I got back, I finished up the cache page, editing the HTML to include the links for the eleven caches, and then adding the coordinates of each as "Additional Waypoints." After more than an hour of work, and hopefully careful proofreading, I submitted it for Review.

When I got up this morning, I found out that Marko Ramius has approved it. Whooo Hoo!

I made it a "Premium Members Only" cache so I can see who is looking at the cache page and so far half a dozen people have glanced at it. Map4Navigation emailed me that he is anxious to complete my "new Multi." That was cool . . .

So, we'll see who is FTF. I wish I had been able to put some really nice stuff in the ammo can for the FTF, but anyone who has found my caches before knows there are not any things of value in the containers, nor any true FTF prize . . .

I hope lots of people try to do this cache. The ammo can should survive for several years, so the cache can live on and on and on . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon