Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Some Forum philosophy

Musings about Geocaching

Friday, April 11, 2008

Some Forum philosophy

This is an interesting exchange in the Forums this morning between a long-time cacher and a new cacher. Finally, Renegade Knight came along to sum everything up.

A few weeks ago, when I wasn't feeling well, I let some "killjoys" get to me after I posted my most recent cache. Initially, they "won." However, once I started feeling better, I was able to respond correctly and do what I still believed in and have "my fun."

Only YOU can suck the fun out of geocaching.

Hows that make sense?...

Much of life is how you respond to everthing that happens to you that's beyond your control. That's what? 90% of everthing? The point he made, and the truth of the matter is that how you choose to respond determines how much fun you are going to have in your life. Your choice in a situation we all face determines your fun.

Yes there are killjoys. There will always be killjoys. Part of the fun I get out of life is killjoying the killyjoy's joy in killing joy. It's a game. That's how I respond. If I'm not having fun doing that, then I do something else. Sometimes the killjoy is better at their game than I am at mine. Time to step back and let them rant to your back and remove their abiliity to ruin your caching life.

Now folks truly concerned about something who are being wet blankets as a result deserve another reponse. Again your choice. You can get bent, or set them straight on a misconception, or realize they have a valid point and address it, but it's all your choice.

Summing it all up:

Living well is the best revenge. I never understood that until I was older and saw first hand what it means.

After the exchange with the person affliated with Anza Borrego Desert State Park, another "killjoy," I have been concerned about the final container for my new cache. No one has found it yet, and I'm not even sure how many people are working on the cache, so I don't know when it might be found.

It is a beautiful day today, although windy, and I am tempted to drive up there and check on the container and then hike to another cache a few miles away.

However, gas is up to $3.75 per gallon now. Can I really afford to make that drive . . . ?

Talk about a "killjoy."

2 Comments:

  • I've been hearing a few bloggers talk about tensions in the forums. I think everyone that lives in the cold parts of the country is getting fired up about caching season and they just need to get out there and burn some energy.

    Geocaching With Team Hick@Heart

    By Blogger Josh, at 9:11 PM  

  • The vitriol that regularly spews forth in most of the forums is what keeps me away for the most part. It seems to get worse each year and gives a black eye to the entire Geocaching community imo.

    If I were a newbie cacher today and stumbled upon the forums, I think I'd walk away and not even involve myself in caching. It's really too bad it's like this too, because the forums can be really useful tools for everyone.

    By Blogger Paul Myers, at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon