Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Who knew one cache could cause so much trouble?

Musings about Geocaching

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Who knew one cache could cause so much trouble?

When I posted my new "Desert Virtual" cache, there were a few people who were upset about how I was dealing with the cache removal situation in Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP)

I really didn't think my allowing of Multi-logging on a single, unique cache, would become a wildly-spreading practice in the San Diego Geocaching community and cause "bad blood," however, when I wasn't feeling well a week ago, and couldn't handle the criticism when some people called the cache concept "cheesy," I Archived the cache.

A few days later, when I was feeling somewhat better, and after I had time to think about it, I begged Marko Ramius to forgive my impulsive action and Un-Archive the cache. After editing the cache page at least a dozen times, I re-Activated it. Two cachers emailed me thanking me for creating the cache and giving them a new opportunity to go out to the desert.

Well, now I have been contacted by "abvlntr" telling me I should not even bring people out to the desert to visit the locations where the caches used to exist. After I wrote back stating that my cache was a sort of "Guidebook," I received this response:
Nevertheless, your new "outside the park" cache has created a series of virtual cache references within the park. I can't say what the official outcome is going to be from the park admin people, but I have a sneeky feeling you are not going to like the result--just my personal hunch.

This woman has even threatened to steal my final container, which is not inside the Park Boundaries. I checked a map carefully, and zoomed way in on it. According to this official .pdf document, I can confirm that my "final container" is not in ABDSP, unless this map is not accurate:


If my final container is stolen by someone affliated with the Park, whether they are an employee, or a Volunteer just following misguided directions, there's gonna be trouble . . .


Who would have thought my little cache, inviting people to visit one small section of the 600,000 acre desert park, would cause so much controvery?


2 Comments:

  • Wow, it sounds like there is more going on here. How would they know about the cache unless they were actively going after geocaches. It sounds like that lady has a personal issue. Maybe she was dumped by a geocacher. Bitter, very bitter.

    Geocaching With Team Hick@Heart

    By Blogger Josh, at 6:31 PM  

  • Here's my feelings about the whole no-geocaching-in-ABDSP thing.

    http://www.truthspeaksout.com/wp02/?p=13

    Jim
    W9JIM

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon