Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A day of caching without my Palm

Musings about Geocaching

Monday, August 08, 2005

A day of caching without my Palm

So I had been sitting at home for three days nursing a very swollen foot that got that way after I was stung by a bee.

By Saturday, I was starting to really get down, so I decided to prepare for a caching trip to Santee so I could bump up my numbers a bit and find some caches Nancy had already found. I needed to do some shopping, so once I've driven all the way down the hill, what's a few more miles?

So, I finally get down the hill and to the first cache location in the GPSr and look for my Palm to read about the cache. Oh no! I left it home. Well, this was going to be interesting!

Actually, it was interesting. I did log more DNFs than I would have if I had had the hint, and the Past Logs to review, but I still looked for lots of caches, and I found 13, which is a good indication of how cache dense the Santee area is.

One of the caches I found was this teeny one. It was attached to the aluminum railing of a bridge, however the cache owner had attached a piece of steel to the aluminum so the cache would stick, and would be replaced in exactly the same place.



The cache was about 3/8" across by 5/8" deep. The only problem was the log. It was full. If I had known that, I could have brought some paper to put in the cache. However, all I had was a gel pen and the color of the ink was almost the same orange color of the rust-stained paper in the cache.

There was a nice view from this cache, but I cannot say that for some of the other micro caches I found.



There is an acronym some locals made up for the proliferation of micros in Santee. S.C.U.M. (Santee Cammoed Urban Micro). Several of these micros live up to that because they were in really-icky locations where there was a lot of trash, but some of the others introduced me to some walking/biking trails I wouldn't have otherwise known about.

One of these micros was near this tree with huge juniper-berry-like fruits.



If you look really, really close, you can see the micro cache in the picture.

By the end of the day, I had bumped my numbers up to only nine away from the coveted 500.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon