Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Almost "Mega" Event in Temecula Sunday

Musings about Geocaching

Monday, February 19, 2007

Almost "Mega" Event in Temecula Sunday

It was such a nice day yesterday, I wanted to get out of the house. I can't say I 'decided" to go to the Event, it just sort of happened. I already had the caches in the area in my GSAK database, so all I had to do was a couple of quick filters to get the GPSr loaded. When I started down the road, I didn't really know if I would continue driving all the way.

If I had done a "Route" from my house to the Event ahead of time and had found out it was actually 87 miles away, I would not have gone. Since I had a really good time seeing people I hadn't seen in a long time, like the high-numbers cacher, Mighty Dee, and getting to know other cachers, like Kwver and Mrs. Kwver a bit better, and meeting new people like Zeber, I am glad I didn't know how far it was to the "Cornerstone 4" church before I started down the highway.

(The '4' was added to the picture by the Podcacher folks.)

I suppose the possibility of getting a "Mega" Event icon in my profile was one of the other reasons I drove all that way, and although we didn't quite get that many people at the Event, it was a great success and was very well-organized.



The raffle offered lots of cool prizes, including some well-cammoed cache containers. The Event provided an opportunity to present the "Best of Southern California" cache awards. They were given out to cache owners who have put creativity and thought into their caches.

We have such a great group of cachers in this area that going to Events like this one and socializing has become one of my favorite things to do. Until now, I never enjoyed going to social gatherings.

Geocaching has opened up my life in more ways than I ever imagined it would when I found that first cache—a Pathfinder & Snoopy ammo can under an artificial pile of rocks—a little more than two years ago.

I am extremely grateful to Dave Ulmer for placing that very first "stash," and to Jeremy for continuing the Geocaching.com site and feeding our obsession.




UPDATE: Whooo Hoo!! I just saw that the Event was determined to be a Mega Event afterall and I now have this icon in my Profile:

Whooo Hoo!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon