Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Whoops . . . I placed three more caches today

Musings about Geocaching

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Whoops . . . I placed three more caches today

The sky was still overcast and it was cold. But, after days staying at home, I wanted to get out. So, I started my afternoon by driving to the location of a cache of mine I archived after it had been muggled again. This time I put out a waterproof match container. Maybe that will stay for a while.

Then, I came back and headed for the Sycuan Peak trailhead. At the nearby pullout, I parked the car and walked along narrow Lawson Valley road to the trail. The sky was cloudy, but it wasn't threatening rain.

Since the rain, someone had driven a large, 4WD vehicle up the trail. I wonder if it was an "Authorized Vehicle?"




The other day when I hiked this trail, the ground was so hard, I couldn't see the tracks of the group of cachers who walked up the trail the day before. Now, after the rains, this vehicle had left behind big tracks and deep ruts where the ground had softened up in the rain . . .

Near the top, I walked around on the rocks where there was a great view. I found a good spot to hide "lostguy"'s container and then before hiding it, I wrote a bit in the logbook about the cool, cloudy day. I took a few pictures, but the heavy overcast was not conducive to good pictures of the fantastic views.

After hiding the cache and taking the coordinates a couple of times, I headed for the top and then walked down the other side where the two Puzzle caches are hidden. I hoped I could "duganrm-them." No luck. The trail on that side was faint, and there was no way to follow a "Geotrail" like we found over on the west side of McGinty for that Puzzle cache of Team Adelos.

I wandered around for a while, enjoying being outside again. Finally, when I realized there was no hope of finding the caches without the coordinates -- only duganrm can do that -- I turned around and walked back down the hill.

This is what the profile of the hike looked like:



At the car, I decided to place a little cache to give cachers a guide to the parking area. There should be more caches coming out this way now that there are four more caches on the mountain.

I put the container as far away as I could get from the cache on the hill, which is still less than 528 feet away. I hoped Marco Ramius would approve the cache anyway, since it is a walk of .2 to actually get to the other cache.

I named that cache "Only Two Redeeming Qualities" because it is really a lousy cache hide . . .

I named the other cache "Second Time's the Charm," since it is the container that was placed on McGinty and had to be moved.

The other cache on Lyons Valley Road, which is the location of my very first cache hide, I called, "Another Lyons Valley Roadside Distraction."

So . . . now, counting my Terracache, I have 79 caches out there . . . Who knew when I put that first cache out I would enjoy hiding caches so much . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon