Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A fire created some excitement out my way

Musings about Geocaching

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A fire created some excitement out my way

In the morning, about the time I heard something on the radio about a fire and evacuations, I could smell the smoke. I wasn't concerned because the location was seven miles away, but, this afternoon, when a friend called and said they had ash falling at their place, I decided to drive around on Lyons Valley Road to see where the fire was.

When I first saw the plume of smoke, the cache I thought of was SMOKEY's, "Valley Pillar via the Quail Oasis." Then I thought of his "Ghost Corral" and "cAMMO Can." By the time I got to my cache, "Lyons Valley Roadside Distraction," I could tell that none of SMOKEY's caches were in danger at the moment, and I hoped none of the caches in Horsethief Canyon were at risk either.

The smoke and the wall of flames climbing up a steep rocky ridge was terrifying.



From my house, the smoke looks less-ominous.



I'm sure glad the wind isn't blowing. Santa Ana winds blow from the east to the west, which could spell disaster for some of the caches I mentioned, as well as the caches on Gaskill and Lawson Peak.

Of course there are many homes and ranches in the area that would be also at risk under different circumstances, but I think the fire is only burning acreage in the Horsethief Canyon Wilderness Area now.

I hope it is under control soon and completely out before more of the Wilderness Area is devastated.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon