Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A fourteen-cache, five-mile-hike-day in "town"

Musings about Geocaching

Monday, May 07, 2007

A fourteen-cache, five-mile-hike-day in "town"

It has been a few weeks since I have cached with dillweed. Even though I was pretty tuckered out from our hikes on Sunday, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to get together with her again.

We met at "Golden Joe's" at a Starbuck's in La Mesa and headed towards a parking area CTYankee told me about. My GPSr was set on auto-routing, but it got confused, so we went around a few more turns than we needed to getting to the end of Tyler Street.

The grass has grown up quite a bit, so the trail is not very evident at the bottom, but you can see where it is a bit up the hill. I changed out of my sandals and put my Lowa shoes on. I had 48 ounces of water, which I thought would be enough, even though it was going to be a hot day.

Once we were on top of the hill, we didn't have too much change in elevation until we got to a bradybunchboys cache. My "Found It" log for that frustrating cache is almost as long as some of my DNF logs where I have looked for a long time . . . but then since we were going to call this a DNF until duganrm called back, that makes sense. I don't know if the coordinates are deliberately off for that one, but where they brought us led us to look in the wrong place for a long time . . .

Near one of the caches I found a cactus with some blossoms open.

There was another huge cactus plant up there that will be incredible when it blooms in a week or two. It made me think of that cache Princess Toadstool and I found two years ago near a Grande Cactus.

This is what our tracks and profile looked like when I uploaded them to the Maps.



All together, we found 14 caches. At the end of the day I placed a cache to mark that parking spot. It is at the dead end of Tyler Street, so I named it "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too."

I used the piece of Manzanita burl I got up on Gaskill Peak the other day. It is an obvious hide where it is now. I had wanted to put it where is would look very natural and be quite a challenge, but that didn't happen . . .

It was a warm day, but a nice breeze was blowing most of the time, so we never got too hot. However, the wind sure helped dry us out. We finished off all our water and, as soon as I got back to the car, I drank another bottle of water. Now is the time of the year to make sure we are more prepared for the hot temperatures. This was only a five-mile hike and 48 ounces of water was almost not enough. Just last week, on a cool, misty day, I hiked ten miles and did not drink half that much water . . .

It was a beautiful day up there on the mesa, the air was clear, and the views were great except for the view of a mountain to the north of El Cajon they are bulldozing to put in luxury homes with viewsites. I hate it when that happens . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon