Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: A one-day trip to Yuma with Mr. and Mrs. CTYankee9

Musings about Geocaching

Monday, June 04, 2007

A one-day trip to Yuma with Mr. and Mrs. CTYankee9

We got an early start, leaving from my house at 6:30 in the morning, and not getting back until after 9:00 p.m. So, as I write this, I'm a bit tired. I'll try to "flesh out the details" later on, but for now, these few pictures, and my brief comments will have to suffice.

Since we got such an early start, it made for better pictures as we headed east along Old Highway 80. This picture was taken of a lonely Oak Tree along the road to McCain Valley, not too far from "Can You See the Bear?"



At the Old Hot Springs, I took several pictures of the building. From the east side, I can almost see the elegance and class the building had many years ago.



The early morning light made some interesting, contrasting shadows.



At the old hotel near the cache, "Talula's Place," I took a few more pictures, since I didn't have a chance to get close to the building when I was there May 19th.

The wavy-glass windows of the old Hotel near offered interesting photography opportunities.

I took another picture of the fields when we got near the "Organic Veggies" cache.



We made a stop at the gas station and Subway restaurant where this funny sign can be found.



At the Jacumba Train graveyard, CTYankee9 took lots of pictures, as did I.



Finally, we got on the Intersate and made it down to the hot desert where we looked for a cache for a long time. It was called "Rock on Tree," and we never did figure out what the significance of that name was . . . and we very nearly didn't find the cache. It was hot, the coordinates were off, and after ten minutes, I was ready to call it a DNF. Good thing CTYankee9 is more persistant than I am in circumstances like that, because I happened to pick up the rock that had the bison tube attached to it a few minutes after he said, "Just five more minutes."

That was my first find of the day. I found nine caches during the day, CTYankee9 found 53. We also had one DNF, and a few other "No Finds," like at the cache called "Derailed," which has truly been "De-railed" because the rails aren't there anymore . . .

I really had a good time. I love being on the road, even if it is just a one-day road trip like this one. If I had the money, I would start out now, heading for some interesting locations, like up the 395 again. I haven't made that drive in almost two years and would sure like to see the Alabama Hills, Bishop, and the eastern Sierras again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon