Blog Template Musings about Geocaching: Two "Historic Caches" go into the "Found" column

Musings about Geocaching

Friday, June 06, 2008

Two "Historic Caches" go into the "Found" column

Late Thursday afternoon, Chuy! posted in San Diego Event Forum that he was headed north to find the Calaveras Lake caches. He said it would be about a seven-mile hike, and since I had walked five miles on each of the last two days, I wondered if I would be too tired. However, I didn't think the terrain was too tough, so I sent him an email, and then called and left a message.

I set my alarm for 5:30 in the morning and went to bed early . . .

In the morning, I gave myself about 45 minutes to get to Chuy!'s house and that was just about the right amount of time to get there on time. It was a pleasant surprise to see map4navigation there. He had decided at the last minute to sign on for the adventure. I had not cached with him for a long time.

We loaded our stuff into Chuy!'s truck and set off up the 67 and from there, followed a complicated route. It was a good thing Chuy! knew his way to the area, because I had no idea where we were going . . . and it was a long drive. I was very thankful he wanted to head up that way. With the price of gas at $4.35 a gallon, my driving is going to be even more limited now.

We started out on the trail, going in the opposite direction from the way Princess Toadstool and I walked when we were in the area in 2005. It was a hazy day, so I didn't take too many pictures. I had to stop when I saw this flower carpet at the base of the extinct volcano.



At that point, we were headed up to the top of the of the rocky mound that is a unique geologic formation in that part of San Diego County.



Once we got on the top, we searched for the Geocache for quite a while. I meandered over to the location of the Terracache and found it easily. Unfortunately, the container had leaked during this past winter, so the inside was wet and rusty. The logbook was protected by the ziplock bag, so that was a good thing.

We finally located the Geocache about 37' away from GZ and headed back down the trail on our way to a couple of caches, not realizing we would get to climb almost all the way to the top again after circling around the west side of the volcano.



We followed the meandering trails, backtracking once to pick up one of the "Historic Caches" we came all this way to find.



We walked past these amazing, huge thistle plants a couple of times during our wanderings.






Here is the Profile of our adventure. The spikes in the track are because I kept the GPS unit on my belt during our hike.



We ended the day at a great English Pub that has a cache in the front planter. That was a cache I DNF'd along with a large group of other cachers back in 2006. It was good to move that one to the "Found" column, and great to enjoy a good dinner with my caching companions.

I really had a great day finding the most caches I have found in one day in more than a year.

By the time I got back to Lakeside, I was really tired. I hoped the plans for Saturday did not involve a strenuous hike, but after talking to Auld Pro, found out that was not to be the case . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

Web Counters
Office Max Coupon